Saturday, 11 November 2017

Pumpkins are not just for carving!





Pumpkin is packed with fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), which increase cell turnover, to brighten and smooth the skin. Pumpkin contains antioxidant Vitamin A and Vitamin C to help soften and soothe the skin and boost collagen production to prevent the signs of aging.

I have always loved the humble pumpkin, I just love the way it looks and I think orange is a jolly colour, I love autumn colours and the season.

Not only have I read the nutritional value of the pumpkin but also the skincare values that this humble fruit can provide.

I had a pumpkin left over from halloween untouched, so set about putting it to use -

Roast Pumpkin-

Ingredients
  • 1 small pumpkin or 1/4 large pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 400F. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Use a sharp chef's knife to cut slices of pumpkin, 1-inch thick.
  2. Place pumpkin slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub on both sides of pumpkin. Season with, spices. Roast for 18-20 minutes, depending on thickness of pumpkin slices (check at 15 minute mark).

Homemade mask - 

I had no recipe to follow, I wanted to free wing it and simply cooked the pumpkin and mashed it into a bowl

then plain and simply plastered it all over my face! A word of warning, it gets messy and it takes a little while for you to get it to stay on your face, so I decided to get a dollop on my face and massage it around my face and then took a good ten minutes to 'press' the rest onto my face.
I did make sure that it had cooled, but not cold and then left it for a good half an hour. I did not feel any tingles and my face was not aggravated in any way, some of the pumpkin had dried, but a splash of water sorted that out, and then removed the rest with a warm flannel :)


I was not expecting anything amazing, but my skin felt smooth and felt nice and comfortable, I even got a compliment on how good my skin looked!

I will most defiantly experiment with adding other ingredients to the pumpkin, whether it be other skincare to aid in 'sticking' it to my face or something else from my food cupboard.

( I used the recipe from here, but I omitted the salt and sugar )
  • Have you made a mask from your food cupboard?
  • if so, let me know what it was!

Thank you for dropping by and stay healthy, happy and positive :)


2 comments:

  1. Would have never thought to use pumpkin for skin care! Thanks for sharing this!!!
    Tisha x

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Pinterest